I know that possibly the worst part of concussive symptoms is insomnia. In addition to exhaustion, it exacerbates all other symptoms. Here are some great tips on how to improve sleep:
A. Sleep Meditation
- Relax Melodies.
- Relax & Sleep by Glenn Harrold.
- Pzizz Sleep.
- Sleepmaker Rain.
- Nature Sounds Relax and Sleep.
- Relax Melodies: Oriental Meditation.
- Long Deep Breathing.
B. Techniques- KEY= Elminate Goals
Guided meditation– prior to going to bed, understanding the bigger picture, eliminating worries Headspace?
Progressive Muscle Relaxation– laying down and focusing on each minute area of the body from toes to head, and repeating until asleep or close to asleep
Deep Breathing– breathing from your abdomen/diaphragm while counting every full breath cycle. Count to 5 with inhale, count to 5 with exhale, repeat.
Escaping to happy place– YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtHACn7b314
C. Other Strategies:
- Read fiction– (this avoids screen time and allows me to escape reality.)
Taken from 4 hour body:
- “Chili Pad
- Hanging upside-down or traction
- Sleep Master sleep mask and 3M E-A-Rsoft FX ear plugs
- Yogi “Soothing Caramel Bedtime” tea
- Visual overwriting (e.g. Tetris or Escape to River Cottage, Season 1)
- Flux App for screen blocking (if you MUST watch TV to sleep
- Avoid screens while falling asleep
- Natural Nutrition/Health Techniques:
Taken from 4 hour body:
- “Taking 200 milligrams of huperzine-A 30 minutes before bed: can increase total REM by 20-30%. Tim uses this for the first few weeks of language acquisition and no more than three days per week to avoid side effects. (side effects = Insomnia as well as many others) take home note: use at your own risk!
- Don’t drink more than two glass of wine within four hours of sleep: More than two glasses of wine within four hours of sleep decreases deep wave sleep by 20-50%.
- Taking 15+ drops of California Poppy extract: increases deep wave sleep up to 20%
- Eat two tablespoons of organic almond butter on celery sticks before bed: this will help you avoid low blood sugar over night. Make a pre-bed snack part of your nutrition program.
- One to two tablespoons of flaxseed oil (120-240 calories) can be used in combination with the celery and almond butter to further help”
- Easy stretching
- Cold bath/shower within 1 hour of bed (5 minutes minimum)
- Adjust temperature of room
To wrap this up I want to say that the key to great sleep is a routine. This means discipline. There are many nights when Midnight Michael wants to watch TV until he falls asleep, but instead he forces himself to get into bed and read. The next morning when I wake up refreshed I thank Midnight Michael.
Ferriss, T., & OverDrive Inc. (2010). The 4-hour body: An uncommon guide to rapid fat-loss, incredible sex, and becoming superhuman. New York : Crown.